With inflation hitting the nation and with the cost of living ever increasing, saving money has never been more important. It doesn’t matter how much money you make if you don’t know how to save it. One of the best ways to save money is to regulate your electricity and energy use around your home. In this article, I’ll list some tips and tricks about how to save money each and every day around your house. For more great tips and advice, contact us at Energenie!
Free Money Saving Ideas
Let’s start by looking at free and easy ways to save money. While it might only seem like pennies at first, these tips and tricks can accumulate into massive savings down the road.
- Check your local energy companies to find the best electricity rates in the area. In states with free choice, you have the ability to choose your electric provider and shop around.
- Sign up for Bill Alerts so that you know exactly what you’re paying for your energy bills.
- Save water by taking shorter showers and using less hot water.
- Wait to start your washing machine or dishwasher until you have a full load. Don’t waste water on partial loads of dishes or laundry.
- Wherever possible, use cold or lukewarm water instead of hot water, which forces your water heater to activate.
- Limit the number of electronics that are being used in your home at any one time. Whenever possible, encourage family time and for everyone to gather in the same room to limit light and energy usage.
- Clean the lint filter in your dryer before every use. A clean lint filter will speed up the drying process and reduce electricity use.
Cheap Money Saving Ideas
As you can see, there are plenty of free ways to save money on electricity. Let’s now take a look at a few other ways to save electricity if you’re willing to spend a little money.
- Replace the showerheads and faucets in your home to have flow restrictions. People often use way more water than they need to due to high water pressure. Cutting down the pressure will save water and money.
- Use dimmer switches and timers on your lights in areas when you don’t need maximum brightness.
- Replace your old light bulbs with LED ones. LED lights use a fraction of the electricity and last much longer than incandescent ones.
Investments That Could Save Big Bucks Down the Road
If you’re willing to look at your energy use as an investment, there are plenty of big money purchases that you can make to save down the road.
- Update your refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove, and other appliances to be more energy efficient. They cost a lot upfront but use a fraction of the electricity that older models do.
- Consider using solar power in areas where it’s available and viable. States like Florida, Texas, California, and other areas with lots of sunshine are excellent options for solar power. They often even offer discounts and rebates when you make the switch to solar power. Additionally, solar power is free, which you can’t beat when it comes to saving money.
How EnerGenie Can Help You
EnerGenie is your personal electricity shopping assistant. By signing up with EnerGenie, you’ll have peace of mind knowing you have a cheap electricity rate locked in to avoid rate hikes. You’ll also never have to worry about falling onto a high variable electricity rate because we continuously monitor your account and the market to sign you up for another great rate when your contract is coming up for renewal.
Signing up with EnerGenie can save you hundreds of dollars per year on your electricity bill. Here’s what we do:
- We analyze your electricity usage
- We enroll you with a cheap electricity rate
- We manage your electricity plan
- We find your next plan automagically