Switch with EnerGenie
& Save on Electricity
EnerGenie Analyzes Hundreds of Electricity Rates from Dozens of Energy Providers
Electricity Bill by Square Footage
Your monthly electricity bill is affected by many factors, but your home’s square footage is one of the biggest. Generally speaking, the bigger your home is, the higher your electricity bill will be. This is simply because bigger homes take more energy to heat and cool, and many more appliances and lights are being used. For this reason, it’s essential to know your square footage so that you have a better idea of what you will be paying on your electricity bill. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do just that.
How Square Footage Affects Your Electricity Bill
Unless your primary source of electricity is solar or wind power, square footage has a huge impact on your electricity bill. Renewable resources such as solar and wind are often free, so your square footage doesn’t matter. However, square footage will largely determine your electricity bill if your electricity is through traditional resources such as gas, coal, and oil.
However, it’s important to note that not all houses of similar size will have the same electricity bill. Your location, REP, and many other factors also play a role, though not as significant as square footage. The best way to determine your bill based on square footage is to use an electricity bill calculator. An electricity bill calculator will help you determine how much electricity you’re likely to use and how much it will cost you.
Once you have an idea of how much electricity you will use, you can find an energy plan that makes sense for you and your household. The best way to do that is through EnerGenie. Contact us to find out how the process works and how much we can save you on your electricity bill!
Average Electricity Bill Based on Square Footage
You can also calculate your average electricity bill based on your square footage with some simple research. For example:
- The average home in Texas is 2,000 square feet.
- The average rate for electricity in Texas is 11.2 cents/kWh.
- The average amount of electricity used by a Texas household is 1,176 kWh/month.
- Using these numbers, we can calculate the average electricity bills for homes in Texas based on the above averages.
Average Electricity Bill Based on Square Footage
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 500 square feet = $35 – $40.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 1000 square feet = $70 – $80.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 1,500 square feet = $100 – $115.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 1,800 square feet = $125 – $ 140.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 2,000 square feet = $135 – $150.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 2,500 square feet = $175 – $185.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 3,000 square feet = $215 – $230.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 3,500 square feet = $240 – $260.
- The average electricity bill for a home in Texas of 4,000 square feet = $280 – $300.
As you can see, the larger your home is, the more likely it is that you’ll have a higher electricity bill. However, there are many other factors that determine how large your bill will be.
Other Factors That Affect Your Electricity Bill
While square footage plays a massive role in your electricity bill, here are some of the other factors that also play a role.
The location of your home or business
Texas is a massive state, and not all locations charge the same price for electricity. For example, electricity rates in Dallas and Fort Worth are nearly double what they are in El Paso.
The type of electricity plan you’re enrolled in
The type of electricity plan you’re enrolled in also plays a role in pricing. There are prepaid plans, fixed plans, and variable plans. Depending on your REP, certain plans will be cheaper than others.
The efficiency of your appliances
The efficiency of your appliances, as well as your means of power, make a huge difference. Newer gas furnaces, dryers, stoves, and water heaters all cost less to power than electric ones. Newer air conditioners are also created to be more efficient than older ones. Upgrading your appliances could end up saving you big bucks down the road.
Age and style of your home
Not all homes that are the same size are created equal. Newer homes are much more efficient than older homes due to improvements in windows, doors, and insulation. Therefore, the newer your home is, the less your electricity bill is likely to be.
Additional Fees That Isn’t Affected by Square Footage
There are also lots of additional fees that will have an impact on what your electricity bill is going to be. While every plan has additional fees and surcharges, the company and plan you enroll with will impact how many of these there are. Keep in mind that square footage doesn’t play a role in these additional fees.
- Monthly enrollment fees, which aren’t charged by all REPs.
- Fees that go towards paying Transmission and Distribution Utilities as well as the cost of purchasing electricity by the REP.
- Minimum usage and energy efficiency cost recovery fees charged depending on the type of plan you have.
How to Save Big on Your Electricity Bill
No matter what the square footage of your home is, you have the opportunity to save big or spend big on your monthly electricity bill. Hidden fees, surcharges, tiered electricity rates, and so much more determine what your final bill will be. Choosing the right plan for your household can take hours of research, or you can do it in minutes with EnerGenie.
EnerGenie uses innovative technology to find the best electricity plan in your area, based on your square footage and all the other factors we discussed above. Contact us to start the enrollment process and start saving big bucks on your monthly electricity bill!
Save on your electricity bill with EnerGenie
How EnerGenie Works
EnerGenie technology works behind the scenes to save you money and be your energy concierge, to give you, the homeowner, peace of mind.
We are currently comparing electricity rates of
1434 Plans from 49 Providers
EnerGenie Proudly Serves Texas
Our Office is in Texas
Houston, TX 77042